Toggle Contrast

Who does Adult Safeguarding apply to?

Safeguarding means protecting a person’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. It is about making people aware of their rights, protecting them and preventing and stopping abuse. We need to encourage people to report any suspected adult abuse, whether it happened recently, or not. 

When someone tells us of a concern of abuse or neglect, the Dudley Safeguarding Adults Board has a legal duty under The Care Act 2014 to ensure that enquiries are made where the adult concerned: 

  • Has needs for care and support (whether or not the council is meeting these needs) and; 
  • Is experiencing, or is at risk of abuse and neglect and 
  • As a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse and neglect. 

If the adult does not meet these criteria, then DSPP will ensure that signposting to supportive services which can help the person concerned, is provided. 

Tell Us your concern 

If you are worried or scared about the way you or someone you know is being treated don’t bottle it up, tell someone, a parent, teacher, friend or if it is an emergency call 999.